Measures taken by Indian Railways for improving passenger safety and passenger amenities in suburban trains are as follows:
· The suburban train coaches made in Integral Coach Factory, Chennai, have features of cushioned seats in First Class and Polycarbonate seats in Second Class for better aesthetics and passenger comfort. These coaches also have provision of forced air ventilation, passenger information and announcement system, stainless steel fixtures, Light Emitting Diode (LED) tube lights, etc. Other features for passenger safety include, stainless steel coach body, improved design rigid hand holds, slip free grab pole, etc. in the coaches.
· Facilitating passengers and reducing trespassing by building of more Foot Over Bridges, provision of escalators and lifts, blocking gaps in the boundary walls on either side, fencing of the area between two platforms so that the people are not tempted to jump from one platform to another by crossing tracks, Reducing gap between coaches and platforms.
· Stringent and regular inspection of all safety items are carried out during scheduled inspections as specified by Research Design and Standards Organization (RDSO).
· In Western Railway suburban system Auxiliary Warning System is in place to prevent collision in case of Signal Passing at Danger (SPAD).
· Public awareness campaigns are organized by Railway Protection Force (RPF) to brief the public about the hazards of crossing tracks, roof top traveling and stunts.
· Policing on Railways is a State subject and prevention of crime, registration of cases and their investigation in railway premises as well as on running trains including in suburban train service across the country are the statutory responsibility of the State Governments, which they discharge through Government Railway Police (GRP) of the States concerned. However, Railway Protection Force (RPF) supplements the efforts of Government Railway Police by deploying its staff for escorting of important trains in affected areas and access control duties at important and sensitive stations